Sunday, September 25, 2011

Gingersnaps without the snap (or fat!)



This summer I visited my bestie in Zurich. In addition to the sunbathing, swimming, trail running, and various other wonderful outdoor activities, she also introduced me to these lovely fat-free ginger cookies.

I kept thinking about them through my month-long trip back to India and by the time I arrived back in the US I was dying to find a recipe and try them out myself.

I ended up with an adaptation of the Barefoot Contessa recipe.

Fat-free Ginger Cookies

Ingredients:
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup mild flavour molasses

2 egg whites

2 1/4 cup flour
1 t baking soda
2 1/2 t cinnamon
1 1/2 t dried ginger powder
1/4 t ground cloves
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t salt

1/2 cup chopped candied ginger

1. Cream together sugar, applesauce, and molasses. Mix on medium speed for 5 minutes.

2. Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices.

3. Add egg whites to sugar mixture and mix for another 2 minutes.

4. Slowly add flour mixture (dough will be very thick, so be careful if using a hand mixer, don't burn it out!)

5. Stir in candied ginger.

6. Preheat oven to 350F

7. Drop in spoonfuls into cinnamon sugar. I like making small cookies, about half a rounded spoonful. Coat with sugar, roll into a ball by hand, and place on parchment paper on a baking sheet.

8. Bake for 13 minutes until just set in the middle.

9. Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.

Since these are guilt-free, I like having 2 or 3 with sleepytime tea while watching my guilty pleasure--reality TV :)

No comments:

Post a Comment