Monday, September 26, 2011

Cricket in unlikely places

Over my nearly six years in India, I developed a serious love of the game of cricket. Whether it was the first few months of trying to figure out what it was all about, graduating to predicting run rates and hypothetical scores, or participating in the 2011 World Cup madness, I gladly steeped myself in one of India's two great passions.


I made the silly mistake of leaving Hyderabad just before the Champions' League Twenty20 tournament began. I had a great fortune of meeting several of the India national players during the World Cup and during the IPL T20 season that immediately followed. One of the greatest pick me ups last week was getting a phone call from one of the bowlers asking why I didn't stick around for the tournament. Sigh.

I will have to take what I can get here. The stopgap is crictime.com, which is a free cricket streaming site where you can watching literally every national level cricket match that happens anywhere in the world. Amazing. I got to see Malinga dominate on both sides of the ball on Saturday.


My other outlet is the Philadelphia Cricket League, which just happens to be having their Finals match this coming Saturday in Wilmington, DE. I'm hoping to drag my college room mate along when she visits this weekend. There's something special about a game I've grown to love being played in my childhood home.

No comments:

Post a Comment