Monday, October 22, 2012

Art and Democracy

On bad days, I feel like an alien invader struggling to understand local language and customs, whose ideas (meant for good) are met with biting criticism and contempt.

Luckily, today is not a bad day.  As I struggled through a piece by Chantal Mouffe called Art and Democracy: Art as an Agonistic Intervention in Public Space, I found myself rapidly developing a series of tabs in my browser window that made clear what a novice design researcher I am:   "hegemony," "dissensus," "Krzysztof Wodiczko" and wondered over phrases like "sedimented social practices," I also started to grasp something of what the author was saying and better, started to take joy in the not knowing, let my know-it-all facade fall, because that is where real learning begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment