Saturday, November 19, 2011

Poach pears, not rhinos.



I have a hard time with bad news.  I nearly always manage to do the right thing and "be there" as needed.  But I don't process well.  And it's so much harder on a global level.

I am a voracious podcast listener -- BBC Global News, NPR Story of the Day, HBR Ideacast, TED Talks, Slate Gabfest, This American Life, Desert Island Discs, the list goes on and on.  In an effort to add some diversity to my daily listening, I added CNN Africa to my list a few days ago.

Long story short, I hear a horrific story about how rhinos are being killed on average one per day for their horns for the "Far East," driven in a misguided belief that the horns will cure cancer.  At one time, we had this scurge more or less under control.  In 2007, only 13 rhinos were poached.  This year we're set to top 400.

I don't have any kick ass skills.  I don't know karate, I am not a jedi, and I'm really skittish around guns.  I will not be fighting these guys with my bare hands.  And also, since I am currently unemployed, I won't be contributing anything at all monetarily to protect these lovely creatures.

BUT, I can cook.  So today, in retaliation for the rhinos, I bring you Poached Pears in Red Wine.


3-4 pears, peeled, cored, and sliced
3/4 cup sugar
1 T cinnamon
1 t ginger
vanilla ice cream

Style note:  Final product is significantly better if cook is dancing to a homemade mix of Lady Gaga, U2 and George Michael during preparation.

1.  Combine everything but pears in a sauce pan.  Bring to a simmer.
2.  Add pears and simmer for 8-10 mins until tender.
3.  Remove pears, continue simmering liquid until reduced by half, approximately 5 minutes.
4.  Drizzle over pears.  Serve over creme fraiche, gorgonzola cheese, or vanilla ice cream.

Mmmmmm.  Every little counts, no?

No comments:

Post a Comment