Tuesday, April 2, 2013

100 Objects Research: British Museum

In my last weekend living in London, I decided to visit the source of my inspiration -- the British Museum, to get a better look at the objects which inspired A History of the World in 100 Objects. There is so much to see, I couldn't possibly get through all 100, but I did manage to see quite a handful. Photos are below, along with links to descriptions. This was first time in a museum with a pure purpose--I was studying, not just glancing at old things for general edification. I wanted to get a better understanding of what objects were valued through the ages.

The highlight of my day wasn't any of the 100 objects in the history however. In my wandering a I came upon a "Hands On" pop-up, catering mostly to children, who are constantly told "don't touch." One if the curators was there describing three objects she had in the table, and letting the children hold each of them in turn.

"Hands On" pop up at the British  Museum

I narrowed in on one in particular -- what appeared to be a teardrop shaped stone was actually a hand axe, formed by human hands in the Neolithic Period (at the end of the Stone Age), used for cutting down bushes and small trees, just at the dawn of agricultural. It is approximately 6,500 years old.

Handaxe from the modern day Lake District in the UK, 4500BCE

I patiently waited my turn, in line with children 10 and under, and held a piece of history, an object no doubt cherished and well-used, possibly even handed down through generations. Certainly on that particular Neolithic man (or woman's) list of most valued objects.

History in the palm of my hand


Also seen at the British Museum:

The Rosetta Stone

Head of the Horse of Selene from the Parthenon


Hoa Hakananai'a Easter Island statue


Aztec double headed serpent


Statue of Tara


The David Vases


The Standard of Ur


The Lewis Chessmen

No comments:

Post a Comment