Monday, March 25, 2013

100 Objects

I've been drifting through the design field for the better part of six months now, trying hard to learn new skills and find an area where I can get traction. I've worked with the concepts of micro homes, sustainability tool kits, and rainwater harvesting for low-income areas of Mumbai, but hadn't really hit on anything that resonated until this term.

Consumption. Consumerism. Waste. These are the challenges that our generation faces. You want to tackle energy? The first step is reduction, efficiency. You want to tackle all that waste floating in the ocean? The first step is to reduce what we throw away. You want to tackle financial systems built on over-leverage and excessive debt? The first step is cutting back on things we don't really need.

In this spirit, I have constructed my Design Research project this term called 100 Objects: Tracing Materiality and Motivations through a Person's Possessions. Finally! A post that does justice to the title of this blog.

I have asked several people to list the 100 objects that are most important to them. The results have been fascinating.







No comments:

Post a Comment